Full Time AP Placements
A Full Time Placement: is one that an individual student can be referred to as an agreed intervention to avoid permanent exclusion. Kingsmead School would arrange and offer an appropriate educational package to meet the needs of the individual student. We do this by providing smaller class sizes, focussed and specialised teaching in both academic and technical qualifications and a range of supported services such as therapy, family support and special educational needs. We believe in re-engaging young people with education, respecting their uniqueness and working together to never give up! Click here to see Kingsmead’s school vision.
“Good alternative provision is that which appropriately meets the needs of pupils which required its use and enables them to achieve good educational attainment on par with their mainstream peers.” Department for Education (DfE), (2013) Alternative Provision, Statutory Guidance for Local Authorities, p. 10 – www.gov.uk/government/publications/alternative-provision
Junction 16 will facilitate all Full Time AP placements into Kingsmead School. The curriculum offer for these placements will be consistent with the current Kingsmead curriculum at that time1. Students will be placed via an internal KSM panel to ensure the specific school they are assigned to can best meet their needs (Kingsmead Special School or Kingsmead PRU).
A full-time AP student would remain on your school roll. For each placement to be as successful as possible, we require from you:
- A complete, up to date referral form with all relevant and comprehensive information/data included with a named school contact given
- Agreement from yourselves that you have recorded the reasons for your referral to alternative provision “Specific personal, social and academic needs of the pupils are properly identified and met in order to help them to overcome any barriers to attainment;” Department for Education (DfE), (2013) Alternative Provision, Statutory Guidance for Local Authorities, p. 10.NB – we no longer require a copy of these targets. These are for you to record, review and present to Ofsted as required using the ongoing feedback and communications from the provider and/or J16. If you would like them specifically incorporating into the provision intended outcomes, please share with us on referral.
- Consent and understanding from the parents/carers as to reasons for the AP placement
- Any up to date supporting documents/information on the student not included in the referral form, i.e. EHCP, Risk Assessment, Safeguarding/EHA plans
- Full school file/records including a detailed description of any exams/work/texts completed and any particular strengths/interests (this should be clear on the referral form)
- Agreement of costs and provision. Placement costs are £20K per student, per academic year, plus transport and Pupil Premium money where applicable1.
- Agreement that Kingsmead will co-ordinate and oversee the curriculum offer for the student
With all this is in place we will support you and your student by:
- Arranging a meeting with key staff involved with the student to hand over any important information
- Allocating the most appropriate Kingsmead School (Special School or PRU) and communicating with the student/parent/carer to attend induction/assessment appointments before a timetable will be put in place
- Termly feedback of students’ progress (in line with whole school feedback procedures) including academic achievements and any predicted outcomes both core and vocational
- Timely attendance updates
- Agreement to speak to and provide any additional data for Ofsted should this be requested for the AP placement
NB – If at any stage a referral is deemed inappropriate, or The Kingsmead School are unable to meet the needs of the student, a discussion will take place with the referring school and the application process would cease.
1There may be occasions where it is necessary to offer a personalised package of education to a student, the reasons for this would be fully documented, based on risk assessments at the time and under constant review.
2Should the costs per academic year increase, then these new charges will be applied to any existing FT AP placements from that point onwards.